As a major storm gets close here is a list of precautionary measures to make sure your computer stays healthy:
– Back up all your data to an external drive (Time Machine is the best way)
– Save ALL open documents and power down your computer. Unsaved documents will be lost in case of power outage.
– Unplug it from the wall – power surges can damage your computer even if it’s turned off
– Make sure your computer is not in an area that could flood like your basement floor
– If you MUST use your computer during a storm you should make sure it’s plugged into a working surge protector and/or battery backup.
– A battery backup will give you time to shutdown your computer if there is a power outage. This will eliminate the possibility of hardware damage or loss of unsaved documents due to improper shutdown.
– External batteries or Battery cases for your phones will allow extra time in case of long power outages.